Verb "to be" is one of the most fundamental and frequently used verbs in the English language. It is used to describe the state of being, identity, characteristics, or existence of a subject. The verb "to be" changes its form based on the subject and the tense.
Forms of the Verb "To Be"
Present Tense:
- I am (أنا)
- You are (أنت/أنتِ)
- He is (هو)
- She is (هي)
- It is (هو/هي لغير العاقل)
- We are (نحن)
- They are (هم/هن)
Examples:
- I am a student. (أنا طالب)
- She is happy. (هي سعيدة)
- They are friends. (هم أصدقاء)
Past Tense:
- I was (كنتُ)
- You were (كنتَ/كنتِ)
- He was (كان)
- She was (كانت)
- It was (كان/كانت لغير العاقل)
- We were (كنا)
- They were (كانوا/كنّ)
Examples:
- I was tired yesterday. (كنت متعبًا بالأمس)
- We were at the park. (كنا في الحديقة)
- It was a sunny day. (كان يومًا مشمسًا)
Future Tense:
- I will be (سأكون)
- You will be (ستكون/ستكونين)
- He will be (سيكون)
- She will be (ستكون)
- It will be (سيكون/ستكون لغير العاقل)
- We will be (سنكون)
- They will be (سيكونون/سيكنّ)
Examples:
- I will be at the meeting. (سأكون في الاجتماع)
- They will be here soon. (سيكونون هنا قريبًا)
- It will be a great event. (سيكون حدثًا رائعًا)
Uses of the Verb "To Be"
Describing Identity or Occupation:
- I am a doctor. (أنا طبيب)
- He is a teacher. (هو معلم)
Describing Characteristics or States:
- She is intelligent. (هي ذكية)
- They are excited. (هم متحمسون)
Talking about Location:
- We are in the classroom. (نحن في الفصل)
- The book is on the table. (الكتاب على الطاولة)
Forming Continuous Tenses:
- I am reading a book. (أنا أقرأ كتابًا)
- They were playing soccer. (كانوا يلعبون كرة القدم)
Forming the Passive Voice:
- The cake was baked by John. (الكعكة تم خبزها بواسطة جون)
- The letter is being written. (الرسالة تُكتب)
Conjugation Summary:
| Subject | Present | Past | Future |
|---|---|---|---|
| I | am | was | will be |
| You | are | were | will be |
| He/She/It | is | was | will be |
| We | are | were | will be |
| They | are | were | will be |
Understanding the verb "to be" is essential for building correct and meaningful sentences in English.
Comments
Post a Comment